How do I Troubleshoot a Printer that is Experiencing Issues?

Questions Answered in this Article


All faculty, staff and students have the ability to troubleshoot a printer problem.

Hardware Issues with a UNCW-owned Printer

For UNCW-owned printer hardware issues (e.g., persistent paper jamming, issues with ink cartridges, lines on the paper, etc.):

Non-iPrint Printers (no orange sticker with a UNCW ID - e.g., HP, Brother, Epson, Canon)

Submit a service request for best-effort troubleshooting from ITS. If ITS is unable to fix the issue or the printer needs to be cleaned/serviced, call the vendor tte Imaging (formerly Toner Exchange) to schedule a service appointment. Then, enter a requisition in uShop with the appointment date. The requisition may include an estimated cost. The final invoice amount will be paid when it comes in. A P-Card may also be used. For more information, contact Purchasing Services.

iPrint Printer/Konica Minolta/Copier (has an orange sticker with a UNCW ID)

Submit a service request for assistance from Printing Services. For assistance identifying an iPrint Printer/Konica Minolta/Copier, review the article "How Do I Print to a Department Copier?"

Connection Issues to Computer



Please visit the "Fix Printer connection and printing problems" Microsoft support instructions.


Please visit the "Solving printing problems on Mac" macOS support instructions.

If you need further assistance, please submit a service request or CHAT with TAC.

0% helpful - 1 review


Article ID: 12502
Fri 4/22/16 3:56 PM
Tue 1/24/23 11:36 AM